November 29, 2013

Muffin, Cake? Basta Banana Chocolate for Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in the Philippines but since I work for a foreign company catering Americas, we (the employees) are allowed to take our vacation leave and bake! Ahahaha, I don't have any fun thing in mind to do since weekend so I decided to just bake and cook something new.

I like bananas.  Bananas is almost always present in the street where I live in.  We have banana plants in our backyard in the province so why not bake something with banana?  Actually,  I'm just trying to finish the cocoa powder that I bought some months ago since it's gonna expire na this December and it just so happen that I chance upon http://www.rachelcooks.com and it's Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (oha choco na choco).

the cake
the frosting

My sister has this rectangular baking pan which she gave me when I decided to start baking as a hobby but looking at it before baking, I got lazy buttering it up or putting baking sheets to it for the cake not to stick so I just pulled a non-stick square baking pan and my green silicone cupcake tray (? ano daw) and my nephew keep saying "can I have some muffin".  Yeah, a failure in perception but people this creation of mine is suppose to be a cake hehehe.

Anyway here's the recipe with some of my notes and just a little warning:  this is so sweet!!!!

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
from http://www.rachelcooks.com

2 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups sugar  (this is too much for my liking, I'll just use 1 cup next time)
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 medium-sized bananas, mashed (I remembered my niece and use 4 instead)
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (make your own by adding 1 tablespoon white vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk)
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I can't find a semi-sweet chocolate in the grocery so I used regular chocolate chips and I think it contributed to the uber sweetness of the cake)
1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add rest of ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat on low-speed until combined. (I don't have a mixer so I have lots of bonding time with my whisk (smiley))
4. Increased to medium speed and blend for 3 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Spread into a greased 9″x13″ baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. (don't forget to insert the toothpick too on the center)
6. Cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
one 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened (I use spreadable cream cheese instead)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (I'll stick with salted butter next time, I think the frosting has more character with it)
2 to 3 teaspoons of milk (maybe more)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
~4 cups of powdered sugar (I only use 3 cups, I tasted the batter so I already have an idea that the cake is just so sweet)


1. In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and milk until smooth.
2. Add in cocoa powder and powdered sugar (one cup at a time) and continue to beat on low speed until frosting is smooth and to your desired consistency. Spread on cooled cake.


Just chilling with my sweet cake :)

sweet cake for an early early breakfast is awesome!

Thanks for reading. Till then. Bye!

2 comments:

  1. This looks sooooo delicious! :O I have a huge exam this Sunday, so maybe I could chill a little in the afternoon after the exam with this recipe. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's yummy but sinly too sweet hehehe. get ready for a sugar rush when you try this recipe :D

      Delete

Share that amazing thought!
I do reply and you can also leave your blog's link so that I can visit it. Thanks :)