January 20, 2015

Arti-Artisan

My first idea is to tell you the last moments of my 2014 which consists of masks, diy rip jeans, membership cards, "charot", last sunset, fireworks and food of course.  But I'll just move on with some of the food particularly the "artisan".

From Wikipedia:
An artisan (from FrenchartisanItalianartigiano) is a skilled craft worker who makes or creates things by hand that may be functional or strictly decorative, for example furnituredecorative artssculpturesclothingjewellery, household items and tools or even mechanical mechanisms such as the handmade clockwork movement of a watchmaker. Artisans practice a craft and may through experience andaptitude reach the expressive levels of an artist.
The adjective "artisanal" is sometimes used in describing hand-processing in what is usually viewed as an industrial process, such as in the phrase artisanal mining. Thus, "artisanal" is sometimes used in marketing and advertising as a buzz word to describe or imply some relation with the crafting of handmade food products, such as breadbeverages or cheese. Many of these have traditionally been handmade, rural or pastoral goods but are also now commonly made on a larger scale with automated mechanization in factories and other industrial areas.



Scarsdale Artisanal Delights
Scarsdale caught my attention when I visited my old neighborhood because of the shop's "scandinavian" vibe.  Aside from that, I noticed that their donuts are bigger than normal, simple unlike others and have flavors that are not "normal" in a Filipino sweet doughnut store.  I only got two for me and my sister's tea time.

I got the maple and glaze variant.  The maple reminds me of the bacon I love (hehehe) it has a bit of a smoky taste to it while the glaze has just the right sweetness to it.  Actually both has just the right sweetness to it but I bet, if my niece and nephews whose already accustomed to super sweet doughnuts or those people who think that frappes in Starbucks has just the right sweetness would say that these are too plain for their liking.  The doughnut itself is pact, firm and a little airy which reminds me of the freshly made doughnuts that I buy in small bakery shops when I was a kid.  Hope that soon I can hang out in one of Scarsdale shop and sip coffee soon.

Team Manila + Theo Philo
Team Manila came out with chocolate with quirky variants and labels like "Bawal and Bitter" which is a milk chocolate and "You'll like this Alat" which is the sea salt variant.  I dont' know if Team Manila itself made these chocolates or if they team up with Theo Philo to make these but anyway from Theo Philo, I got the Milk Chocolate with Pili Nut and Pinipig.


I am sometimes extreme, so I while letting these chocolates melt in my mouth I literally wanted to taste the saltiness of the sea salt and the dizziness effect of the pili nuts.  With the sea salt variant, I guess a little more sea salt is needed to intensify the contrast of the chocolate and salt and for milk chocolate, I wanted it more to be creamy.

For the Theo Philo, maybe it's better if the pili nuts and pinipig would be finely ground (I remember the pili bar I ate before and it was the best) and mix it with the chocolate rather than in chunks that are sometimes just in one side of the bar.  Just suggesting but I'm happy that there are more Philippine made goodies that are starting to circulate, I hope my kababayans would show their support and maybe in the near future, we can export these and help our economy and...okay I'll stop here :)

  
Share your artisan finds.  Arya.

Oh, will just share these two photos as a goodbye to 2014:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share that amazing thought!
I do reply and you can also leave your blog's link so that I can visit it. Thanks :)