April 13, 2013

Naked No More: Velvety Red Velvet

I couln't resist anymore not to post this because finally, I made a decent cupcake with a FROSTING (pronouncing in high pitch tone) that everybody (promise, I'm not exaggerating)  like!.  Introducing my very own, moist and yummy Red Velvet!
my very own red velvet cupcake
Funny how I panicked when I suddenly realize that my butter in the fridge is not enough so I search for another recipe that calls for a canola oil (thanks goodness we use canola oil in the house).  Also, funny that the main reason why I baked is to not to spoil a cup of sour cream.  I derived my red velvet cupcake recipe from Bake Happy and Yummy.Ph
red and moist
Red Velvet


1 cup sour cream
3/4 bottle red food coloring
 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs

1.  Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line muffin/cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
2.  Combine sour cream, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla extract.  Set aside
3.  Sift or dry whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.  Set aside
4.  Combine canola oil and sugar until sugar is slightly melted, then with a whisk add in the eggs one at a time
5.  Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients (from step 3) and slightly mix using a spatula.
6.  Add half of the wet ingredient (from step 2) and again slightly mix
7.  Repeat steps 5 and 6 and slightly mix until everything is combined and free of lumps.
8.  Fill liners; 2/3 full, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let it cool before topping these babies with frosting
As you can see in the above picture, I poked a lot of the cupcakes and they are so red.  Now for the frosting, I found a recipe from A Beautiful Mess.  Had a little hard time since I do not have an electric mixer, so my whisk (yup, it's now my whisk and not my brother's anymore bwahahaha) and I had a lot of bonding time with a little help from my sister (thanks for slowly adding the sugar and holding the bowl when I'm so tired to hold it)
this is a hit frosting in the office
Cream Cheese Frosting


250g cream cheese spread (it's the only cream cheese available in the grocery, Magnolia)
1 stick salted butter
2 to 3 cups powdered sugar (I have to use 3 cups in order for the frosting to "pick" a little)
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Soften butter and cream cheese then beat together until creamy.
2.  Add vanilla extract then beat again for a minute.
3.  Slowly add the powdered sugar while beating (thank goodness my sister helped me) or add 1 cup at a time then beat for 1 minute (if you do not have a companion).  Repeat until the frosting is smooth and creamy and a little fluffy or if already has the "pick".  I only used a whisk but if you have an electric mixer then congrats, the process will be much easier and faster.

At first I thought the frosting is too sweet but when I already put it in the cupcakes, the sweetness is "tamang tama lang" (just right sweetness).

And here I am practicing to put frosting.  Anyway the cupcakes and frosting is worth the effort.
I need to practice more!!!
Happy weekend everyone!

Thanks for reading. Till then. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share that amazing thought!
I do reply and you can also leave your blog's link so that I can visit it. Thanks :)