Half of my working life I guess I bring packed lunch for me to save money and at the same time monitor what I eat. Half of the time too, my officemates are curious about the dish or to them "experiment" I'm bringing like this Sinigang na Corned Beef which is a sour soup with corned beef and potatoes. I thought that this is a common dish but it turns out it's unheard by many and is just starting to show in the menus of the restaurant (but they use real corned beef instead).
Sinigang is one of my favorite food be it with fish or pork or beef. I just love how it makes me salivate by just sniffing at it. The broth has lot of variation but the original I guess is the tamarind. Aside from the meat, it also has lots of vegetables on it which makes me a little bit of a healthy eater. There are times that I just crave for it but meat and vegetables are not always available in our fridge and I'm so glad that our family knows this instant dish.
Sinigang na Corned Beef
1 tbsp. oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
1 big potato, diced
a can of 210grams corned beef, use those with long strands (I use purefoods')
half liter of water (or a little bit more, I'm just eyeballing it)
1 green chili (siling haba) for a nice bitterness and mild spicyness
sinigang or tamarind mix, optional
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil and saute onion followed by garlic.
2. Add in the tomatoes and saute until tender and almost mushy. Add the potatoes and cooked until almost tender.
3. Add the corned beef and cooked for around 5 minutes.
4. Add the water and let it simmer.
5. Add the green chili, it's up to you if you'll cut it for a spicy sinigang.
6. If the tomatoes is not sour enough, add sinigang or tamarind mix then season with salt and pepper.
7. Simmer again for around 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Done, best served with rice!